Coating Scientist, Surface Engineering
Phoenix, Arizona (United States)
You’re passionate about a zero-emissions future and want to build something special. You want to own your space but work with talented, like-minded people on important projects. The pace doesn’t scare you; it excites you. Quality and integrity matter to you.
We feel exactly the same way.
Drive Forward. Introduce yourself to us and let’s start a conversation.
We are on the lookout for a Coating Scientist, Surface Engineering to join our Vehicle Engineering team.
- Assess performance of coatings applicable for corrosion resistance and structural adhesives
- Identify gaps to world class references, contribute to development of action plans and follow up implementation progress for various programs
- Ensure operational and technical knowledge available in Nikola Motor is fully leveraged to support various teams
- Review process development of coating technologies with suppliers in a regular and structured way
- Regularly undertake coating and reliability benchmarking analysis and provide technical support to advanced manufacturing and design teams together with related segment
- On request of sites support preparation, planning and effective execution of major coating R&D projects
- Run together with a team of worldwide experts, develop application of coating standards and making recommendations
- Contribute to some segment initiatives like Technical days
- Contribute to assess the best available technologies and new technologies in your field including environmental control
- Contribute to various R&D projects in terms of process development and implementation
- Contribute to group training programs focused on your field of expertise
- Ph.D. or master’s degree in Chemistry, Materials Science, Chemical engineering or a related technical field
- 10 years of experience as coating engineer in R&D or support roles, covering all aspects of the Coating process
- 2+ years of practical knowledge in coating technologies for Automotive manufacturing
- Solid experience in adhesive application integrated with coating and metallic/non-metallic substrates
- Solid understanding of coating process and improvement of paint shop
- Working knowledge of mechanical engineering, structural engineering, failure of materials and experimental design
- Experience in joining/welding of metallic/non-metallic materials with adhesive and coating integration
- Experience in driving R&D projects with universities, external test house and manufacturing suppliers
- Proven success generating and testing hypotheses to initiate and complete investigations at a quick pace
- Proven success working within an interdisciplinary team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to teach a technically diverse audience using formal and informal techniques
This position is not eligible for OPT or CPT.
Equal Employment Opportunity statement (EEO)
Nikola Motor Company™ is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.