Design Release Engineer, Closures
Phoenix, Arizona (United States)
You’re passionate about a zero-emissions future and want to build something special. You want to own your space but work with talented, like-minded people on important projects. The pace doesn’t scare you; it excites you. Quality and integrity matter to you.
We feel exactly the same way.
Drive Forward. Introduce yourself to us and let’s start a conversation.
We are looking for a Design Release Closures Engineer to join our Cab Engineering team. You will be responsible for the design, release, and launch of Closures panels and hardware components for Nikola’s future vehicles and programs. You will be part of the team that creates and executes world-class closures in terms of form, function, and exemplifies the Nikola brand.
- Develop and execute closures system parts and component
- Implement processes and material selections to achieve Nikola’s desired execution of automotive closures while achieving functionality, weight, cost, and fit targets
- Collaborate with key components system with suppliers and support overall vehicle development through milestones and prototype/production builds
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure the cockpit systems manufacturability, assembly feasibility, serviceability, cost, and packaging
- Be responsible for technical documentation included but not limited to DFMEA’s and DVP&R’s
- Work with Studio inputs during the exterior engineering release process related to all feasibilities involving closures
- Own the parts from concept to post-launch. This will include supplier sourcing, surface release timing, engineering release & lead times, and manufacturing lead times
- Own commercial targets (piece cost, tooling cost & ED&D cost)
- BS in Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years of experience of automotive (truck will be a bonus) product development in closures
- Proficient in CATIA V5 (V6 will be a bonus), PLM system and kinematics knowledge
- Experience dealing with suppliers for different door components as window regulator, seals, latch system, glass, exterior mirrors, and stamping parts
- A good understanding of an automotive cockpit and how your commodities impact the rest of the vehicle with regards to function, cost, and timing
- Experience in manufacturing technologies and feasibility execution for automotive stamping and/or composites. (Mold flow, draft angles, GD&T)
- Know how to achieve system requirements and world-class craftsmanship and performance targets
Candidates must have current U.S. work authorization or be TN eligible from Mexico or Canada. This position is not eligible for CPT or OPT.
Equal Employment Opportunity statement (EEO)
Nikola Motor Company™ is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.