Electric Motor Design Engineer
Phoenix, Arizona (United States)
We’re on the lookout for an experienced Electric Motor Design Engineer with expertise in designing permanent magnet synchronous motors. In this key role you’ll utilize your talent in electromagnetic and thermal simulation, rotor magnet and stator winding layout/orientation, resolver selection and integration, and motor cooling and electrical integration. You’ll work on a talented team to create and/or evaluate new technologies and develop the most power dense, efficient, and reliable electric motors.
Additionally, you will:
- Perform complex design analysis
- Develop engineering designs (including subsystems)
- Implement engineering changes
- Specify and balance system requirements
- Plan and implement test and/or development programs
- Generates technical solutions for current, new and major programs
- Provide technical leadership for advanced technology development
- S. in Electrical Engineering, Ph.D. strongly preferred
- Specialization in Electrical Machines & Drives
- 5+ years of experience
- 3-5 years in electrical machine design & analysis
- Extensive knowledge & experience required (user & mentor) in electro-magnetic machine design using FEA tools
- Understanding of engineering theory and principles of design
- Design, development, and testing experience with electric machines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve
- High level of project management skills
- Working knowledge of automotive systems
- Working knowledge of electric motors, or hybrid systems
- Working knowledge of electric motor and inverter controls
- Strong interest and ability in integration and system understanding
- High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual or difficult
This position is not eligible for CPT or OPT.
Equal Employment Opportunity statement (EEO)
Nikola Motor Company™ is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.