Functional Safety Engineer
Nikola Motor Company’s goal is to transform and disrupt the transportation industry in America. We constantly seek talented, motivated individuals possessing a proven track record of excellence to join our team. Become part of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to transform the transportation industry.
This position requires experienced professionals with hands-on experience in functional safety engineering in the context of ISO 26262 at an OEM or Tier 1.
* Assist in the development of functional safety system requirements and functional decomposition for (a) specific functional domain(s)
* Actively contribute to the definition and/or confirmation of the system architecture of one or more functional domains in the vehicle (powertrain, chassis, etc.) from the perspective of the functional safety engineer
* Define the functional safety concept for the relevant system, hardware, and software according to ISO 26262 standards
* Work with cross-functional teams to develop hazard analysis, safety concepts, and DFMEA for the relevant system/domain. Take ownership of these work products including their approvals
* Support functional safety validation tests
* Work closely with internal teams and suppliers to define functional safety interfaces between project partners. Generate DIAs and other necessary functional safety information for supplier systems/components
* Help implement and master functional safety processes and tools to ensure Nikola Motors products provide world-class safety
* Work in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment
* Knowledge of vehicle embedded systems and functions such as torque demand, motor control, warnings/alerts, or similar
* Deep knowledge of automotive software development process and the V-Model system development, verification and validation framework
* An intimate knowledge of ISO 26262 and experience developing and delivering the major work products of a functional safety program
* Experience supporting external/third-party reviews of functional safety work products.
* A strong attention to detail and desire to create the very best product
* Knowledge of DFMEA, FMEDA, and FTA
* A collaborative approach to working closely with development teams
* Understanding of the product safety responsibility share, between supplier and OEM
* Experience with functional safety tools (e.g. Medini, APIS IQ) and requirements management tools (e.g. Jama, JIRA)
* Excellent writing, verbal and organization skills
* Experience with electric propulsion systems, including relevant controls preferred but not required.
* Experience working in an Agile development environment and using related tools
* Knowledge of Automotive Spice and its role in delivering a quality product
* Experience developing and delivering embedded system hardware and/or software
* Experience with driver assistance and autonomous driving
* Knowledge of MIL-STD-882E standard
* Familiarity with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) Issued by NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)
* A minimum of bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline such as computer science, electrical or mechanical engineering
* A minimum of 5 years of work experience as a functional safety engineer or related role
* Advanced degrees preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity statement (EEO)
Nikola Motor Company™ is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.