Hydrogen Safety Specialist Engineer
Work within our engineering team on Health, Safety & Environmental operations while specializing in the design of the Hydrogen & Fuel Cell laboratories’ ventilation systems. At least 2+ years of experience performing simulations using computational fluid dynamics required. Document, track, and resolve failures found during all aspects of the engineering process. An engineering degree is required with a preference given to prior experience as a Safety Engineer with hydrogen experience. Automotive experience a plus.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Design hydrogen-safe building ventilation systems that comply with classified areas, building code, NFPA and relevant codes and standards requirements.
* Model hydrogen release scenarios. Also, work with external suppliers on hydrogen simulations.
* Participate in risk assessments, HazOps, FMEAs, Fault-tree analysis, etc. Utilize known failure analysis tools to properly document, analyze, and resolve failures.
* Perform root cause analysis on failures with engineering team input and feedback.
* Review designs of labs and hydrogen stations to ensure safety devices are adequately specified for detection of flammable or combustible gases and other hazards.
* Maintain professional relationships, including frequent and open effective communication with internal and external stakeholders.
* Support day-to-day operations of the Health, Safety and Environment group.
* Experience in simulations using computational fluid dynamics; minimum 2+ years of experience.
* Experience working with hydrogen or other compressed gases.
* Familiar with design in Class 1, Division 2 hazardous locations.
* Degree in Chemical/Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent.
* Experience working as a Safety Engineer, preferred.
* Good communication skills/Interpersonal skills to work successfully within a team-based system.
* Possess excellent problem-solving skills, ability to identify and develop new ideas and initiatives, able to turn ideas into practical working systems and procedures.
* Good organizational skills and ability to work with deadlines is a must to be successful in this position.
* Believes in sustainability and our vision.
Equal Employment Opportunity statement (EEO)
Nikola Motor Company™ is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.