Lead Engineer, Fuel Cell Systems Testing
Phoenix, Arizona (United States)
You’re passionate about a zero-emissions future and want to build something special. You want to own your space but work with talented, like-minded people on important projects. The pace doesn’t scare you; it excites you. Quality and integrity matter to you.
We feel exactly the same way.
Drive Forward. Introduce yourself to us and let’s start a conversation.
We’re currently on the lookout for a Lead Engineer, Fuel Cell Systems Testing who will perform a critical role in developing and executing Fuel Cell System validation tests for Nikola Motor’s Various Vehicle Product lines. As the Lead Testing Engineer, you will have an immediate impact on the Verification and Validation organization at Nikola Motor and support the development of world-class, industry-leading hydrogen-electric vehicles.
- Plan and perform a wide range of Fuel Cell Systems (FCS) tests including performance, reliability and durability
- Design and create test procedures and support development of FCS test procedures and DVP/Rs
- Create FCS Test Reports that includes both subjective and objective test findings and results
- Support design and supplier selection for test benches for new Nikola Engineering & Testing center
- Ensure the timely delivery of testing milestones, including facility and equipment installations
- Participate in root cause analysis and failure analysis activities
- Support the development of acceptance criteria for system and vehicle level validation tests
- Provide instructions and guidance to technicians, test engineers and instrumentation team
- Coordinate with suppliers and external test labs to organize and execute testing
- Correlate and track test data to vehicle and system level requirements to ensure FCS meet targets and acceptance criteria
- Document and track all issues discovered by validation testing activities and lead issue resolution efforts
- Work with design teams, systems teams, and CAE teams to resolve issues found during validation testing
- Manage and track all FCS testing schedules and highlight and prioritize critical path tests
- BS in ME, EE, or another related Engineering field
- Minimum of 8 years of test engineering experience of complex electro-mechanical systems
- Highly experienced in creating test procedures and DVP/Rs
- Strong foundation of electrified powertrain concepts and fuel cell systems, emerging trends, and overall system interaction
- Strong technical writing skills are a must
- Able to effectively communicate and work cross-functionally across all technical teams and disciplines
- The ability to work independently, and to coach and mentor others
- Experienced setting up and using data acquisition systems to collect test data
- Experience using CAN tools and analyzing CAN data
- Comfortable analyzing data with MATLAB or other relevant tools, as well as developing analytical tools to command functions, to monitor responses, to parse data from log files, or to aid in data review.
- Experience with JIRA, JAMA, and CATIA a plus
- Experience safely working with high voltage
- Must be highly motivated and able to manage multiple assignments concurrently with limited supervision, while driving day-to-day operations
- Willing and able to travel domestically and internationally
Equal Employment Opportunity statement (EEO)
Nikola Motor Company™ is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.