Lead Engineer, Powertrain Validation
We’re on the lookout for a **Lead Engineer**, to own all test and validation of our high voltage E-Powertrain. In this role you’ll be in charge of instrumentation, test setup, procedures, and reporting for Powertrain. You’ll plan and manage all tests for e-axles, motors, and inverters. You’ll be intricately engaged with the DVP&R (Design Verification Plan and Report) development and testing of multiple programs, powertrain dyno testing, chassis dyno, durability testing, thermal performance, EMC, NVH, track and road testing.
* Organize all aspects of component and system level testing, including kick-off meeting, test procedures, and report generation
* Understand testing efforts and scope by analyzing the requirements of validation plan of development team
* Ensure the timely delivery of testing milestones, including facility and equipment installations
* Provide instructions and guidance to technicians, test engineers and instrumentation team on complex or unique problems
* Arrange the Hardware and software requirement for test setups
* Act as the single point of contact between development and test teams
* Track and prepare the report of testing activities such as testing results, test case coverage, required resources, identified defects, performance baselines
* Collaborate with system architects to ensure the high-level architecture proposals work within acceptable parameters
* Fabricate prototype test setups and hardware-in-the-loop testers to integrate new subsystems with simulated and actual vehicle components
* Work with the cross-discipline development and design engineers throughout the engineering organization to ensure the relevant subsystems are designed with appropriate requirements, interfaces and interactions to achieve specific vehicle functions
* Collaborate with the design, integration, and validation teams to design tests which will validate the functions, interfaces, and interactions of the system. Identify areas of concern, and work with teams to rectify any bugs
* Work jointly with the engineering and validation teams to design tests which will validate the functions, the interfaces and interactions
* Develop automated test fixtures
**This Is What You’ll Need**
* BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar. MS preferred
* Minimum 8 years of experience required in driving and managing highly effective test engineering of complex electro-mechanical systems
* Strong foundation of electrified powertrain concepts (motor, inverter, gearbox, and battery systems), emerging trends, and overall system interaction
* The ability to work effectively in a cross functional group setting, including essential technical guidance to support Senior Management
* The ability to work independently, and to coach and mentor others
* Must have the ability to deliver succinct written and verbal communication and make timely decisions
* Hands-on technical experience debugging complex systems involving networked microprocessors and software-controlled electrical or electromechanical devices.
* Experience safely working with high voltage
* Comfortable analyzing data, as well as developing analytical tools to command functions, to monitor responses, to parse data from log files, or to aid in data review.
* Creative capacity for developing new ways to integrate complex system better and faster in alignment with the aggressive Tesla approach to revolutionary product development
* Must be highly motivated and able to manage multiple assignments concurrently with limited supervision, while driving day-to-day operations
Equal Employment Opportunity statement (EEO)
Nikola Motor Company™ is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.