Mechanical Design Engineer, HMI Hardware Team
Nikola is looking for an experienced **Mechanical Design Engineer** to join the Hardware engineering team. Preferably you'll have working knowledge and understanding of electronic/electromechanical packaging including design with respect to, heat transfer, shock, vibration and harsh environments. You must be able to plan and supervise environmental & transport testing to prove designs and establish certification in accordance with applicable requirements.
In this role you will lead analysis, design, validation and release system-level and component-level packaging activities from initial concept through production. You'll translate 3D surface drawings of industrial designs into functional mechanical parts and assemblies for manufacturing and integrate mechanical designs with electrical assemblies.
* Collaborate with cross-functional teams, suppliers, manufacturing, testing, and validation teams on the complete life cycle of the project through product launch, and implementation of lessons learned on subsequent products (cradle-to-cradle responsibility)
* Lead definition of appropriate system-level engineering targets to meet function, quality and attribute requirements of the Vehicle Program
* Lead development and validation of Vehicle/System Design Specifications incorporating company/industry/regulatory standards, test procedures and material specifications
* Apply fundamental physics to lead progression of design maturity from initial concept, to product launch, to next concept
* Structural and Durability/lifetime simulation and testing
* Generate, Implement and review 2D and 3D finite element modeling techniques using analytical tools such as ANSYS to perform plastic and elastic stress analyses, mold flow and thermal analysis\
* Develop and maintain the Design Validation Plan and Report (DVP&R) including both in-house and supplier testing plans, and ensure sign-off tests are completed on schedule
* Troubleshoot and resolve all validation issues
* Support Purchasing team in sourcing and RFQ activities
* Support vehicle launch and pre-production builds (both virtual and physical)
* Communicate with offshore suppliers to improve value and quality of parts and assemblies
* BSME, BSMET, BS Automotive Engineering or related degree
* 5+ years’ experience in mechanical engineering design and analysis including stress, vibration and heat transfer analysis as well as life prediction. Product design and development experience required; automotive industry experience a plus.
* Knowledge of fabrication processes, and demonstrated skill at modeling, documenting and communicating component/module/product designs from initial concept to final assembly
* Excellent communications skills, demonstrated ability to communicate at all levels
* Strong grasp of solid and fluid mechanics fundamentals with knowledge of Thermal Dynamics
* Understanding of material composition, and material properties for design for manufacturing for casted and injection molded parts
* Working knowledge of GD&T, FMEA, DVP&R, DFSS, DFA, DFM, APQP, VAVE and problem resolution (8D, Ishikawa diagrams, etc.) for the design and analysis of Infotainment components.
* Engineering knowledge of defined requirements and validation of component(s) / system(s) design, function, performance, production & manufacturing requirements, testing, validation and failure analysis
* Experience using CFD and FEA simulation tools (structural and thermal) along with CAD (CATIA V5/V6 or SolidWorks preferred).
* Familiarity with product data management systems (PDM)
* A sense of pride in treating the company and its resources as they were your own
* Understanding of PPAP for product development
* Experience working with Electrical Engineers to define the mechanical/thermal features of printed circuit boards and flexible printed circuits
* Heavy experience with sheet metal, casting, extrusion, and injection molded design
Equal Employment Opportunity statement (EEO)
Nikola Motor Company™ is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.