Medium Pressure Component Engineer
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
People who push themselves, work safely, quickly and get things done, consider how their work impacts others, and treat the company and its resources as their own.
THE JOB AND ITS REQUIREMENTS:
Work within our hydrogen storage team to support the design, development, testing and approval of the medium pressure on-board storage components encompassing the pressure regulator up to and including the medium pressure system shut-off valve. 5-7 years of alternative fuel system component design and/or testing experience, along with automotive process and systems experience. Familiar with FMEA and root cause processes. Mechanical engineering degree or similar is required.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Create specification for medium pressure on-board hydrogen fuel system components including: pressure regulator, pressure relief valve and exhaust piping, fuel lines and fittings, medium pressure shut-off valve, pressure and temperature sensors
* Manage drawings and document releases through engineering change process
* Support component design with suppliers in accordance with Nikola specifications
* Communicate with component suppliers regarding shared CAD files, part and assembly documentation and specification file management
* Define and coordinate testing, certification and approval of components in accordance with national and international standards and regulations, including ANSI HGV 3.1 and EC 79
* Participate in risk assessment, FMEAs, etc. and utilize known failure analysis tools to properly document, analyze and resolve failures
* Perform root cause analysis on design and process failures with hydrogen storage team input and feedback
* Provide input to the development of standards and regulations as they apply to on-board fuel system components
* Document and maintain company documents, including quality documents and forms, validation test plans, test reports, etc.
* Maintain professional relationships, including frequent and open effective communication with internal and external stakeholders
* Support off-site design, testing activities, FMEAs, etc., some overseas travel may be required
QUALIFICATIONS AND QUALITIES:
* BS in mechanical engineering or similar
* 5-7 years experience in alternative fuel system component design and testing/approval, preferably within an automotive environment
* Possess excellent problem-solving skills, ability to identify and develop new ideas and initiatives, able to turn ideas into practical working systems and procedures; creative, hands-on mentality
* Good organizational skills and ability to work with deadlines is a must to be successful in this position
* Possess good decision-making abilities with sound leadership qualities yet open, respectful and convincing
* Believes in sustainability and our vision
* Experience working with compressed hydrogen a plus.
Equal Employment Opportunity statement (EEO)
Nikola Motor Company™ is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.