Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, CAB Structures
Phoenix, Arizona (United States)
You’re passionate about a zero-emissions future and want to build something special. You want to own your space but work with talented, like-minded people on important projects. The pace doesn’t scare you; it excites you. Quality and integrity matter to you.
We feel exactly the same way.
Drive Forward. Introduce yourself to us and let’s start a conversation.
We are on the lookout for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, CAB Structures to join our Cab engineering team. In this position, you will be an integral part of the Body structures engineering team. You will participate in all the development stages from concept to launch, you will have the ability to work with suppliers, manufacturing and with all the internal teams inside the company.
- Develop design concepts and production designs all the way from concept through production launch and ramp up for the cab structures system
- Engage with all cross-functional engineering teams within the vehicle architecture/platform to design and optimize for the structure systems that meet all product specifications, regulations, performance, durability, safety, quality, cost and manufacturing requirements are met
- Work with attribute teams, studio engineering, and certification to ensure all features are captured and executed
- Work with suppliers to implement new materials and technologies into Nikola products
- Create 3D design and GD&T drawings of complex parts and assemblies and contribute to; DFMEA, DVP&R and HARA analysis as required for each system
- Conduct regular design reviews to assure that designs meet required specifications
- Engage with critical path timing for respective systems to ensure all activity is aligned with the Nikola Design Process and can support the department responsible for delivery to achieve the component timeline and integration
- Ensure cross-functional alignment of the product plan, system part data and BoM structure to ensure accuracy always by working with engineering team
- Support the engineering, quality and purchasing teams to interact throughout the program and achieve a common delivery goal
- Develop processes and standards supporting the Vehicle Systems team to ensure continuous improvement using tools/standards/design guides where required
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics or similar
- 6+ years of experience within the trucking/automotive industry (ideally OEM or Tier 1) Preferably within the BIW/CIW Design Release Engineer, advance/core engineering team or equivalent
- MUST HAVE:Design of automotive component parts in CATIA V5/V6
- Strong engineering fundamentals in materials and mechanics
- Experience with various manufacturing processes such as plastic injection molding, composites, metal stamping, extrusion, welding/brazing, plating, heat treating, and bonding
- Knowledge about Commercial Vehicle regulations and Certification activities
- Deep understanding of BIW, CAB (CIW) and/or body structures both at a component level and at an overall system level
- Technical experience with DFMEA, DVP&R and GD&T
- Experience defining test plans, designing test setups, and analyzing test and simulation data
- Good interpersonal and communication skills with a high level of integrity
- Proven knowledge of automotive design and development processes to successfully develop and launch a vehicle into production
- Ability to report accurate information in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong knowledge of supplier processes, manufacturing, and standards
- Experience in DFSS is highly preferred
Candidates must have current U.S. work authorization or be TN eligible from Mexico or Canada. This position is not eligible for CPT or OPT.
Equal Employment Opportunity statement (EEO)
Nikola Motor Company™ is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.