Senior Mechanical Design Engineer, Chassis
Phoenix, Arizona (United States)
You’re passionate about a zero-emissions future and want to build something special. You want to own your space but work with talented, like-minded people on important projects. The pace doesn’t scare you; it excites you. Quality and integrity matter to you.
We feel exactly the same way.
Drive Forward. Introduce yourself to us and let’s start a conversation.
We’re currently on the lookout for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to join the Chassis engineering team. In this role you will lead analysis, design, validation, and release of one or more of the following teams:
- Chassis Integration (Chassis Architecture Lead, Vehicle/System/Component Design Specifications, Chassis System Validation, Intra/Cross-Functional Design Lead, Cross Attribute Design Lead)
- Vehicle Dynamics (Vehicle Dynamics Target Setting, Validation and Certification, Elasto-kinematics and Dynamics Simulation)
- Suspension (Dampers, Springs, Bushings/Mounts, Ball Joints, Sensors/Controls)
- Steering (Gears, Columns, Sensors/Controls)
- Structures (Frames/Subframes, Links/Arms, Pedals, Couplings, Bolted Joints)
- Wheel End Systems (Brakes, Wheels, Tires, Bearings, Driveline)
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, suppliers, manufacturing, testing, and validation teams on the complete life cycle of the project through product launch, and implementation of lessons learned on subsequent products (cradle-to-cradle responsibility)
- Apply fundamental physics to lead the progression of design maturity from initial concept to product launch, to next concept
- Generate and review 2D, 3D, and analytical models
- Lead definition of appropriate system-level engineering targets to meet function, quality and attribute requirements of the Vehicle Program
- Lead development and validation of Vehicle/System Design Specifications incorporating company/industry/regulatory standards, test procedures and material specifications
- Ensure system meets targets
- Lead resolution of design, attribute or packaging incompatibilities through deep collaboration with cross-functional teams
- Develop and maintain the Design Validation Plan and Report (DVP&R) including both in-house and supplier testing plans, and ensure sign-off tests are completed on schedule
- Troubleshoot and resolve all validation issues
- Support the Purchasing team in sourcing and RFQ activities
- Support vehicle launch and pre-production builds (both virtual and physical)
- A Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, MET, Automotive Engineering or in a related field
- 6+ years automotive industry mechanical, design or product development experience
- Strong grasp of solid mechanics fundamentals (fluid mechanics is a plus)
- Proven experience in development of at least one of chassis aggregates like suspension and dynamics, steering system, brakes, towing & recovery is required
- Working knowledge of GD&T, FMEA, DVP&R, DFSS, DFA, DFM, APQP, VAVE and problem resolution (8D, Ishikawa diagrams, etc.)
- Engineering knowledge of defined requirements and validation of component(s) / system(s) design, function, performance, production & manufacturing requirements, testing, and validation
- Experience using Multibody dynamics simulation experience
- Familiarity with automotive fastening methods
This position is not eligible for CPT or OPT.
Equal Employment Opportunity statement (EEO)
Nikola Motor Company™ is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.