Senior Thermal Testing and Validation Engineer
Phoenix, Arizona (United States)
You’re passionate about a zero-emissions future and want to build something special. You want to own your space but work with talented, like-minded people on important projects. The pace doesn’t scare you; it excites you. Quality and integrity matter to you.We feel exactly the same way.
Drive Forward. Introduce yourself to us and let’s start a conversation. We’re currently on the lookout for a Senior Thermal Testing and Validation Engineer to join our Aerothermal Engineering team.You Will:
- Design, build, and test custom test benches to verify the vehicle's battery, fuel cell, powertrain, HVAC and power electronics cooling systems
- Test the performance of thermal components including e-compressors, evaporators, condensers, refrigerant lines, pumps, valves, hoses, radiators, to verify that they meet thermal requirements.
- Contribute to the development and optimization of the vehicle's thermal architecture
- Conducting tests, post-processing data, and communicating results to stakeholders via reports or other documentation.
- Develop validation test plans for thermal components to determine if they meet design requirements
- Review and maintain vehicle level DVP, DFMEA, and test standards for the vehicle thermal system
- Collaborate with simulation engineers and CFD engineers to ensure proper validation of 1-D and 3-D models.
- Work with controls engineers to ensure that BMS and TMM control schemes will meet thermal requirements.
- A Masters (Ph.D. Preferred) in mechanical, aerospace or chemical engineering
- Graduate research work focused on testing, development, and optimization of refrigeration or cryogenic systems
- Experience with LabVIEW for testing and automation of testing.
- Hands-on experience with setup, testing, and validation of refrigeration cycles
- Experience with optimization methods
- Hands-on experience using instrumentation such as thermocouples, pressure transmitters, mass flow
- Experience with CAN and LIN communication or the use of tools such as Canalyzer or NI-XNET
This position is not eligible for CPT or OPT.
Equal Employment Opportunity statement (EEO)
Nikola Motor Company™ is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.