Senior Validation and Verification Engineer
Phoenix, Arizona (United States)
You’re passionate about a zero-emissions future and want to build something special. You want to own your space but work with talented, like-minded people on important projects. The pace doesn’t scare you - it excites you. Quality and integrity matter to you.
We feel exactly the same way.
Drive Forward. Introduce yourself to us and let’s start a conversation.
We are currently seeking a Senior Validation and Verification Engineer to join our team. In this position, you will perform a critical role in developing, planning, coordinating, and executing vehicle validation tests on Nikola Motor’s Various Vehicle Product lines. You have a passion for understanding how vehicle systems work and how they can fail. The Senior Validation and Verification Engineer will have an immediate impact on the V&V organization at Nikola Motor and support the development of world-class, industry-leading electric vehicles.
- Highly Experienced and responsible for the creation of Vehicle Validation Plans, Vehicle System DVP/Rs design, test procedures, and support development of subsystem test procedures and DVP/Rs
- Development of DVP/Rs, Test Plans, and test procedures for Vehicle NVH, durability, and high mileage accumulation
- Manage all test cases and track statuses and issues of all validation activities in Jira
- Work jointly with the testing and simulation teams to formulate a plan that ensures verification coverage for all vehicle requirements
- Work with requirement vehicle system owners to ensure that all requirements are verifiable and are linked to test cases with well-defined pass/fail criteria
- Coordinate with the broader system teams (functional safety, EE, etc.) to look for potential coverage gaps and develop mitigation plans where gaps exist
- Interface with Safety and Compliance office to ensure that the verification plan meets product, regulatory and business needs
- Work closely with internal engineering teams to track development statuses for all vehicle systems and adjust validation and test schedules accordingly
- Ensure that data collected during public road testing provides validation feedback on the completeness and correctness of requirements
- Establish best practices to publish status and progress towards verification and validation of requirements throughout the product development lifecycle
- Work with engineering teams to ensure that system and subsystem verification plans are coherent and that clearly defined acceptance criteria are in place
- Plan and perform a wide range of vehicle tests including performance, reliability, durability, vehicle systems validation, and abuse testing
- Responsible for identifying test equipment and instrumentation to purchase for vehicle level testing and measurement
- Experienced setting up and using data acquisition systems to collect road load data, noise levels, temperature, and electrical data
- Experience using CAN Tools and analyzing CAN data
- Experience driving a wide range of vehicle types and ability to identify issues or potential areas of the vehicle that require improvements such as handling, electrical issues, ride comfort, and interior noise/vibration
- Creation of Vehicle Test Reports for Durability, Environmental, Electrical, Firmware, Reliability, and High Mileage Accumulation Testing that includes both subjective and objective test findings and results
- Responsible for creating subsystem test reports as required
- Participate and provide input into Vehicle level DFMEA development
- Participate in root cause analysis and failure analysis activities
- Support development of acceptance criteria for vehicle level validation tests
- Capable of inspecting and identifying vehicle issues
- Create detailed Vehicle Level Test Plans
- Coordinate with external test labs, suppliers, and test tracks to organize and execute testing
- Capable of performing simple and complex driving maneuvers per test requirements and procedures
- Correlate test data to vehicle level requirements to ensure all vehicle systems meet targets and acceptance criteria
- Document and track all issues discovered by validation testing activities and lead issue resolution efforts
- Work with design teams, systems teams, and CAE teams to resolve issues found during validation testing
- Manage and track all vehicle testing schedules and highlight and prioritize critical path tests
- Capable of using hand and power tools to perform repairs and modifications as required
- Experienced with full electric vehicle architecture and have a strong understanding of High Voltage Battery Systems, Low Voltage Systems, Powertrain Systems, Structures, Chassis/Suspension, Braking Systems, and Vehicle Software/Firmware
- Data Analysis experience with MATLAB or other relevant tools
- Experience with reliability metrics such as MTTF, MMTF, and MTBF
- Proven ability to identify and solve complex engineering problems
- Experience with developing and updating vehicle KPIs and targets for validation testing
- Solidly established connections with 3rd party test tracks and test labs with an extensive knowledge base of various test site and test lab capabilities
- Ability to provide both requirements-based and subjective feedback based on vehicle validation and testing
- Experience with high-performance vehicles and operating vehicles at high speeds on a wide range of surfaces and weather conditions
- Experience with JIRA, JAMA, and CATIA a plus
- BS in ME, EE, or other related Engineering field. Extensive experience will be considered in lieu of Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of 8 years of vehicle validation engineering experience
- Strong technical writing skills is a must
- Able to effectively communicate and work cross-functionally across all technical teams and disciplines
- Must have an active driver’s license with a clean driving history
- Willing and able to travel domestically and internationally
Candidates must have current U.S. work authorization or be TN eligible from Mexico or Canada.
This position is not eligible for CPT or OPT.
Equal Employment Opportunity statement (EEO)
Nikola Motor Company™ is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.