Test Engineer, Design Validation & Lifetime Endurance
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
People who push themselves, work safely, quickly and get things done, consider how their work impacts others, and treat the company and its resources as their own.
THE JOB AND ITS REQUIREMENTS:
Work within our hydrogen storage team to provide valuable design validation and lifetime endurance performance data of the hydrogen on-board fuel storage system. Design, procure, install, commission and operate high pressure pneumatic and hydraulic test facilities for component and system level validation testing. 5+ years experience with a BS in mechanical engineering specializing in testing, preferably with an automotive background.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Define in-house testing requirements and equipment specifications for the design validation and lifetime endurance of prototype and production hydrogen on-board fuel storage systems and components
* Understand minimum industry standard and regulatory compliance requirements for high pressure hydrogen components and systems and use this knowledge to define validation and endurance requirements and test procedures (DVP&R) focusing on performance parameters such as burst strength, fueling cycle life, operation cycle life, leak tightness, permeation, fire resistance, etc.
* Design high pressure pneumatic (hydrogen gas) and hydraulic test facilities for component and system level validation testing
* Install, commission and operate design validation and lifetime endurance test equipment and maintain reporting system of results, analysis of trends, etc.
* Communicate with outside suppliers regarding test equipment quotes, lead times, status, operation and quality documents
* Maintain professional relationships, including frequent and open effective communication with internal and external stakeholders
* Support off-site testing activities, some overseas travel may be required
QUALIFICATIONS AND QUALITIES:
* BS in mechanical engineering or similar
* 5+ years experience in alternative fuel system component testing, preferably within an automotive environment
* Possess excellent problem-solving skills, ability to identify and develop new ideas and initiatives, able to turn ideas into practical working systems and procedures; creative, hands-on mentality
* Good organizational skills and ability to work with deadlines is a must to be successful in this position
* Possess good decision-making abilities with sound leadership qualities yet open, respectful and convincing
* Believes in sustainability and our vision
* Experience working with compressed hydrogen a plus.
Equal Employment Opportunity statement (EEO)
Nikola Motor Company™ is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.